Sunday 2 August 2015

Randy's Take Out / I'm Not a Very Good Trini

WE'VE MOVED TO WORDPRESS
All of the posts are now on going to be on WORDPRESS! This blog will be deleted in a couple of weeks be sure to follow the new Broke and Picky! - brokeandpicky.wordpress.com

So just putting this out there.

Due to contrary belief (mostly from the people on Weston Rd) I'm not Somalian or Ethiopian.

I'm Trini.

However I'm not a very good Trinidadian

I don't eat things like oxtail or goat
I can't stand the heat
I'm not much of a beach person
and I cannot absolutely stand soca music.

To be entirely honest I debate whether or not I'd actually go back to Trinidad..a lot.

Soca or chutney or any music related to Trinidad, I just can't listen to it.
Maybe it was all those car rides with my mom blasting it that made me loathe it so much, maybe it's the overly happiness in the track that I find annoying or maybe it's the constant JUMP N WAVE JUMP N WAVE. Nope.

I don't think in my 24 years of living and 6 times to Trinidad I've actively tried looking for Soca.

My parents love it. Ask anyone of my cousins they'll tell you.

Me, whatsoever, not so much.

It was Caribbana weekend and I was going to go to the parade. Despite my distaste for most things related to Trinidad. I didn't. Not surprising I know. My mom went before me and actually called me and she said,

"Don't go." Hm.. really?
"Why not?" I ask her.
"You won't like it."

So there I was wondering what to do with my day. I didn't think I was going to do a review it kind of just happened when, for some reason, I googled: "Best patties in Toronto" and of course the lovely BlogTO popped up and the first name I saw was Randy's. Knowing this blog is called Broke and Picky I knew I couldn't just do a review on something like dhalpuri, so what's something that's Caribbean that everyone loves? Patties.

Randy's didn't sound familiar at first but it was only when I actually went to the place and saw the line that went through the door that it started ringing bells. I've definitely had these patties before and it was this box that made me definitely remember.

Source for pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1847505663/box_pattern.gif


Forgive me for the lack of pictures of the actual place which is situated on Eglinton West and Oakwood. As soon as I got there the line was already forming. Surprisingly though they were quick at cash handling orders like it's nothing. Despite the fact I was standing outside the door I was already at the front in around 5 minutes. You better decide what you want to order right away.

I ended up getting

1. Beef
1. Chicken
1. Grace Kola Champagne

Before I got to the front I heard a guy ask for a mild beef patty, the cashier replied they only do spicy patties. Truly Caribbean.

There's no where to sit in the place, hence why I figured they called it "Randy's Takeout." I ended up taking my food and sitting on a bench right across from a beauty store claiming to get Brazilian like hair. Right.


That's what it looks like. Unless you've never seen a patty before then there it is it looks alike to 90% of all the other patties out there.

I took a small bite because on the store menu it said "be careful filling is extremely hot." but then I didn't see taste anything other than the pastry. It was really good. It wasn't as flaky as others that I've had meaning less of a mess on your pants. OH now that I just remembered I found it odd they didn't have coco bread on the store menu. Maybe I missed it? it's odd since coco bread and patties make the perfect pair!

That patty I ended up biting into first ended up being the chicken patty.
Were you expecting the chicken to be shredded like a pulled pork in a bun? Not here. Unlike the beef patty, the chicken looks like it's been curried and then spread onto the patty. The curry (which I think it is) isn't as overbearing as it is if you were to get it in a roti. It was pretty delicious. I don't get the opportunity to go for a chicken patty often but I think when the option arises I'll start doing that. The chicken filling wasn't AS spicy as I was expecting since the cashier said they don't do mild. If you're a big chicken fan you won't go wrong with a chicken patty.

Now onto the beef.
The beef patty was oddly flakier than the chicken one. The beef inside was more moist and had a bit of a spicy kick to it (even the weak stomach people like myself can handle it well). It was a seriously kick ass patty. Beef was cheaper than the chicken and veggie options and it was filled with more beef so much so that if you hold it to tight this will happen.


I have nothing bad to say about it really, It's a good patty.

What I do have to diss is this garbage:


Grace soda.

The one thing about Trinidad I won't ever forget is how f-n good their soft drinks (what they call pop) was.

My 3 favourites that I think EVERYONE should go for are: Peardrax, Solo, Apple J and the list goes on and on.

But this. I don't know. It had too much of a syrup taste. It didn't taste as carbonated as it should be. I just wasn't impressed especially because I knew how great the others are.


Price

$5.11 for everything I got. Broke and Picky approved.

Beef is about 30 cents cheaper than the chicken and veggie options as stated earlier.

Beef is $1.10
Chicken/Veggie $1.48

Overall

Check out Randy's, Grab a box of patties, they're baked fresh then you can freeze them for later use.

The patties are awesome and if you're ever craving a quick snack or something that can be used as an entrée while you add fries or salad to it then you're set.

Avoid Grace soda however. Buy a peardrax for me, chill it and sip slowwwwww.

Patties 8/10


To my Trini people, don't be offended. Still got mad love for you.


Sweet, SWEET TNT OHH HOW I LUV UP MY COUNTRY.

I'll stop.

follow me on instagram and/or twitter - @darkm4gician

No comments:

Post a Comment